Saturday, July 7, 2012

Don't Fence Me In


I am conservative. I am not a bigot, I am not a racist, I am not a chauvinist, I am not environmentally irresponsible. I don’t know if I am democrat or republican because I am not comfortable with either label. I do not need you to be wrong for me to be right or vise versa. I am at peace with many of my convictions and many are still works in progress. I am grateful that not everyone believes exactly as I do and I welcome respectful debate. 

I believe our greatest gift from our Creator is our agency, which gives us the power and right choose. I believe that whenever others compromise agency, it is tyranny. 

Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.”
Thomas Paine
http://www.ushistory.org/paine/crisis/c-01.htm

I believe the greatest sacrifice for agency and freedom was given with the life of Jesus Christ and that he literally saved us from an eternal loss of agency. I believe that within each of us lies a will to protect and defend that agency. 

I believe that each individual’s opinions, beliefs, and values are honored in a democratic society where we choose our leaders. Because of this, religion in politics is unavoidable as my beliefs inform how I will choose my leaders. I do not choose a leader because she believes exactly as I do but because she promotes the general welfare of our country. Our country was founded by people who declared independence and composed a constitution based on their belief in truth and in a Creator who “endowed” us “with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness”. I believe, as they stated, “all men are created equal”. In my opinion, these statements were informed by both the secular and religious beliefs of those who wrote them. Even the framers themselves understood that the constitution was not perfect but after much debate, wrote it with the best of intentions and knowledge of the time.

I confess that there are several parts of this constitution which I do not at present approve, but I am not sure I shall never approve them: For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged by better information, or fuller consideration, to change opinions even on important subjects, which I once thought right, but found to be otherwise. I doubt too whether any other Convention we can obtain, may be able to make a better Constitution. For when you assemble a number of men to have the advantage of their joint wisdom, you inevitably assemble with those men, all their prejudices, their passions, their errors of opinion, their local interests, and their selfish views. From such an assembly can a perfect production be expected? It therefore astonishes me, Sir, to find this system approaching so near to perfection as it does.”
Benjamin Franklin
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/debates_917.asp

I am grateful that over 200 years later, our society more accurately reflects the equality they envisioned. 

I am extremely grateful to the brave souls, who despite unpopular opinions of the time paved the way for the civil rights we enjoy today. I would hope that the dedication of their lives would not be in vain, thus causing reverse discrimination to demean or diminish my right to believe as I do because it is currently unpopular. If I choose to abstain from sex until marriage, do not drink alcohol and spend a significant part of my life in worship, I would hope that my more liberal brothers and sisters would respect my right without assuming these choices make me naïve, ignorant, brain-washed or uninformed.

I am grateful to the women who stood up and spoke out so that I can live and work in society as I choose. I am grateful that their actions made it possible for me to pursue an education and career that supports the lifestyle I choose and the dreams I have for my family and myself. My belief is that the intention of the Women’s Movement was to ensure that women feel free, capable and confident to choose whatever path is right for them, whether it be as a CEO or a stay-at-home mom. I believe all of these choices are valid and respectable. I believe we honor and uphold the values of our sisters who went before us by supporting and uplifting each other now. 

I believe the earth is a precious gift and should be treated with respect. I believe we should be conservative with our resources. I believe the planet and its resources are available in abundance when cared for and used properly. No one group should have unlimited access to these resources and they should be responsibly shared globally. I also believe we are surrounded by brilliant minds and ingenuity that, if working together, can find solutions for how to best share, manage, recycle, renew, and protect our earth’s bounties. I believe, as we are taught in the Old Testament, that as humans with “dominion…over every living thing that moveth upon the earth”, we are the responsible beings on this planet for “multiplying and replenishing” her resources. 

I am conservative. I am not a bigot, I am not a racist, I am not a chauvinist, I am not environmentally irresponsible.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said! Thanks for sharing, I love that first quote from Thomas Paine it needs to be shared nation-wide!

    ReplyDelete