Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Mystery Box

J.J. Abrams: The Mystery Box
I watched this TED Talk today by J.J. Abrams, titled "Mystery Box".  He speaks about a box his grandfather bought him when he was a boy at a magic shop called the Mystery Box.  He's owned the box for at least a couple decades and has never opened it!  He then goes on to say he's been creating "mystery boxes" in his own writing and film ever since and pointed out how we as humans love a "mystery box" siting examples from such famous films as Star Wars and Jaws.  (Watch it. It's a cool talk).

So I got to thinking about the "mystery boxes" in my life, one of which is the mystery of my future spouse.  I have lots of friends with this particular mystery box.  We don't know what's in it.  But it's sure fun to think about.  Is he tall?  Does he have dark hair?  Is he funny?  Is he a good dad?  What does he do for a living?  Will he think I'm fantastic?  Where will we meet?  Where will we live?  How many kids will we have?

On the one hand, I complain all the time about not having the life right now that will answer these questions.  On the other hand, there is a certain degree of fear of having these questions answered.  What if it's not the answers I want?  How much control do I have over the answers?  What choices do I need to make to get the answers to be what I want? Will the answers that come as a surprise be pleasant or disappointing? 

There's something kinda comforting and exciting about NOT opening the mystery box. As long as it's closed, I don't have to deal with the possible negative reality that I've seen others deal with who have "opened" their mystery box.  I.E. He's annoying sometimes.  He sometimes ignores me.  He doesn't help with the kids.  He's a perpetual student.

But not opening the box leaves you wondering.  What if inside is: He's an awesome dad.  He takes care of me.  He is such a fun partner.  He makes life better than when I was alone.

I'm sure there are all kinds of mystery boxes.  The "What Will Become of My Children" Box.  The "What if I apply for This Job" box. The "Who Will I Meet if I Go" box.  I think it's interesting that I sometimes set up my life and make decisions to keep the box closed. There is a something so great and intriguing about the closed box. Keeping it closed let's me be safe and avoid potential disappointment or disaster.  But opening it... who knows...it's a mystery.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I have been thinking A LOT about this very subject. Let's discuss in person...

    ReplyDelete